Job Title: Barn Staff
Reports to: Barn Manager
Objective: The objective of the Barn Staff is to carry out the duties associated with the feeding, stall care, and maintenance of the program horses and ponies as instructed by the Barn Manager, Assistant Barn Manager, Program Director or Executive Director.
Salary/Terms: Each member of the barn staff will be paid on the 15th (last eligible work on 14th) and last day of the calendar month (last eligible day of work is one day prior) based on shifts worked. Shifts consist of two hours (6:00-8:00 a.m.), four hours (3:00-7:00 p.m.) and others to include, but not be limited to, night checks, lunch feeding, storm coverage, event staffing, as agreed upon with supervisor. Expressed written authorization for overtime due to emergency conditions should be submitted with timesheet for processing for each pay period.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year experience working with horses
- Must have working knowledge and understanding of horses and horse behavior
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be able to take temperature/pulse and have basic medical understanding for equine emergency
- Ability to manage time effectively and manage multiple projects
- Adaptable and flexible in a busy environment
- Must be able to represent EQUI-KIDS in a professional, courteous and cheerful manner
- Must be willing to comply with all employment manual stipulations including timekeeping, drug testing, dress code, time off request processes and anti-discrimination/harassment policies
- Provides daily care and feeding of all horses, ponies and other animals on property as scheduled
- Cleans stable area, including stalls, on a daily basis
- Provides water and hay to all horses, ponies and other animals as scheduled
- Administers medications and/or supplements as requested by their managers
- Examines all horses and ponies for lameness, injury or sickness as it travels to/from the barn
- Contacts Barn Manager and/or Assistant Barn Manager and/or Program Director concerning equine and/or human emergency
- Sweeps aisles, remove cobwebs and ensure daily cleanliness of all barn areas
- Responsible to work all shifts assigned or find appropriate staff to cover with manager approval
- Records time daily, following completion of each shift
- Performs other duties as assigned by Barn Manager, Assistant Barn Manager, Program Director and/or Executive Director
Reviews: Periodic evaluations will be made for all employees on an ongoing basis and in written form commencing at one year of employment and each subsequent year.